Digimobs Forum

Forum for the Minecraft Mod Digimobs

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Adjusting the starter set and adding a Manual

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RWer
In-Training Digimon
In-Training Digimon

PostSubject: Adjusting the starter set and adding a Manual   Thu May 26, 2016 11:59 pm

I was on a Digimobs server earlier that was briefly updated and reset and a problem i struggled with was keeping my digimon (and I) fed. Then many others, mostly first timers use all their meat then are lost with what to do and lose interest.. or beg for a while leading to server exile in some way or another.

I think the starter set needs something more such as at least 5 extra small meats, human food so people can dig straight into the fun of the digiworld(its why we're all here!), a red digizoid ho and a brief guide in a written book telling new comers that in this crazy (and futuristic?) world meat is grown, Biomes to look for, about bosses, list of commands, that Digimon > Humans so don't push their luck (and their own Digimon), and a list or link to the Digimob recipes. Perhaps a player could automatically receive a manual when they type /help.

The guide should also be stickied near the top of the forums.

And it may help to be able to make wooden items from Digiplanks like boats. And to make crafting tables from Digiplanks opposed to the Digiwood(logs).

A lot of people joined that server but very few stayed.. This mod is NOT plain, boring or just more of the same. New people need quicker, easier, on demand access to the help they need. The wiki is too vast and detailed for a new player and not everyone goes through the server tutorial when joining and the list of commands from /help can be overwhelming. A manual of the basics would be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taso
In-Training Digimon
In-Training Digimon

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting the starter set and adding a Manual   Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 am

I agree with a lot of the things you're saying, and this is definitely a great suggestion, especially for players who have just got into the mod without knowledge of previous updates. I'm sure Cyan probably knows that new players need assistance. But how do you assist them, exactly? Your post has a lot of great detail but, a suggestion like this certainly needs even more detail.

How would you like the information to be displayed to players? Via a book? Maybe a device through GUI? Through the pause menu? How would you compress the vast amounts of information, from subject to subject, from mining to farming to controls to hatching to equipment, etc. How would you compress it into a very small amount of sentences while still maintaining clarity? Should pictures be involved?

Regarding the recipe list, that can definitely be kept on the Wiki due to the recipes not changing that much, unlike most of the other features which fluctuate a lot. Plus it would take up a lot of space and whatnot in the mod itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cyan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting the starter set and adding a Manual   Fri May 27, 2016 1:03 pm

The thing you described in your opening bit is exactly what the wiki is supposed to be used for. And most of it is even on one particular page. It's a shame more people don't actually read it. While I am working on hopefully making the mod more noob friendly in the future, it certainly won't be by adding more things to the starter coin. That encourages people to be lazy. They will just use the extra food and STILL beg for more. They would have enough in the first place if they planted the meat they are given, but now we are back to making the mod more noob friendly since no one bothers to maintain or even read the wiki anymore.

All in due time.

Edit: also lets not go making baseless assumptions here with the "few people stayed on the server thing"

Number one, that's entirely false because the server has been having trouble sustaining the 20+ people that have been getting on at a time.

Number two, this has nothing to do with the MOD suggestion, and don't belong in this section.

People need to understand that just because they aren't on at peak times, doesn't mean the server is empty. That's how false information starts. So let's not do that on the future. The mod gets enough false info spread around as is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://digimobs.forumotion.com
RWer
In-Training Digimon
In-Training Digimon

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting the starter set and adding a Manual   Sat May 28, 2016 8:18 pm

@Taso
Yes i think the book would be the best way for simpler bits of info like meat can be grown. I WAS thinking there could be a couple books with just the essentials such as Digimon are stronger than Humans, meat can be grown, how a Digimon ages and other stuff ...
@Cyan
..as you said is already on the Wiki. Easy to read and in detail and now that i think about it, if these books existed it may be overwhelming and take away from the theme. Those who dont want detail or to read wont and those who want to learn and will read will while noobs will be noobs who beg and those who want to play will grow the meat, regardless.
I lost my base once on that other server and this other player didn't plant his meat so we worked together to find one piece to plant. It was a challenge getting more and it was pretty fun.. It would be a good learning experience for new players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adjusting the starter set and adding a Manual   

Back to top Go down

Adjusting the starter set and adding a Manual
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1